• facebook
  • twitter
  • linkin
  • flickr
  • myspace

TrueQueen.com - Your Royal Fashion Source.

Posted by on | |

TrueQueen.com - Your Royal Fashion Source.


True Eats: Beet and Kidney Bean Burgers

Posted: 16 Mar 2011 08:14 AM PDT

I’m a Vegetarian, and I love being one, but sometimes meals through out the week become repetitive.  So I’m always searching for new recipies and meal ideas to spice it up a bit.  Cooking 2 meals; one for my son whose 3 and one for myself and fiance can become very time consuming, so cutting cooking time so I can kick up my feet and watch Netflix after a long day at work is crucial.

I love a good veggie burger, especially Licks Nature burgers *Drools* but most veggie burgers are high in calories and fat.   If your watching your figure then this Beet and Kidney Bean Burger I found in a copy of ParentsCanada March/April issue can easily be integrated into your meal plan.  Even if your not a vegetarian and want to try something new, before you make any assumptions about the ingredients I urge you to have an open mind and try it, you’ll be more than pleasantly surprised.

After I made them I had to snap a pic because they just looked too mouth watering to pass up the opportunity. (I actually used my Blackberry Torch, which is becoming more and more useful)

They take a bit of time to prepare and require a food processor but it’s well work the work. They taste amazing especially with the tzaziki sauce. The burger is also really kid friendly so the kids should enjoy every bite.

Recipe after the jump

Beet and Kidney Bean Burgers

 

canola or olive oil for cooking

1 small onion

1 large beet, peeled and grated

2-3 garlic cloves, crushed

1/2 tsp. cumin

1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar

1 19 oz can of kidney beans, rinsed and drained

1 cup freshly cooked brown rice (short grain works best)

2 tbsp. chopped parsley or cilantro

1 tbsp. canola or olive oil

salt and pepper to taste

provolone, Gouda or any other mild meltable cheese (leave out to cut calories)

6 burger or kaiser buns (I used a whole wheat bagel)

tzaziki sauce (I made my own; Plain yogurt, chopped green peppers, garlic and chili pepper)

 

1.  Heat oil in a skillet over medium high heat and cook the onions until they are soft.

2. Add beetsm garlic cumin and vinegar, stire and cover; cook for 5 mins until beets are soft.

3. In a food processor combine the kidney beans, rice,  parsley, oil, salt, pepper and cooked beets.  Pulse until well combined, but not to the point of baby food.

4. Heat a generous amount of oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high.  Shape the mixture into patties and cook for a few minutes per side.  cook until lightly crispy on outer edges before flipping, and add cheese on top once you flip it to melt.

Serve with any additional toppings you like. Makes 6 burgers.

 

Nutrition facts

(with 2 tsp. butter)Calories 404, fat 7.3g(0.9 saturated fat, 3.7 monounsatured fat, 2.6 polyunsaturated fat) 70g Carbohydrate, 0mg Cholesterol, 13g protein, 7.7 grams fibre.


Mags: UPDATE: Rihanna for US Vogue April 2011 Cover + Spread

Posted: 16 Mar 2011 07:03 AM PDT

 

 

An update to an earlier post: “Rihanna is Jessica Rabbit” a closer look at Rihanna’s latest cover and spread  for US Vogue April 2011.

Rhianna’s style and ever inventive perspective on fashion keeps the fashion world a buzz.   Here’s what she she had to share with Vogue on her point of view:

"It's become more about taking a risk. When I am putting looks together, I dare myself to make something work. I always look for the most interesting silhouette or something that's a little off, but I have to figure it out. I have to make it me. I think that's the thrill in fashion."

3-rihanna_171902614580 2-rihanna_171902200411 cover-rihanna_171905334259 5-rihanna_171904656557 4-rihanna_171903366029 1-rihanna_17190127136 6-rihanna_171905167487


0 comments:

Post a Comment